Live from an Israeli bunker

Sunday, July 16, 2006

In a bunker, you are not alone

My family and I are amongst the early arrivals to the bunker downstairs. There’s already a radio going, a couple of sofas and some fold out chairs.

It gradually starts to fill up, most people have cellphones but immediately after attacks such as these the cellular networks are overloaded and it’s impossible to reach anybody.

Some people are worried, not being able to get in touch with their loved ones. My own grandmother was supposed to be traveling by bus at the time in the very place the rockets hit.

Somebody brings in a TV set and everybody is watching channel two. Suddenly another four rockets hit, we see them on TV. The places are quite familiar.

Eventually people settle down, reassuring each other that everything will be fine and starting to get impatient stuck in a poorly ventilated bunker.

After two hours we leave and go back to our apartment.  

2 Comments:

  • Be safe! We are also sticking it out in Haifa. Good luck.

    By Blogger Carmia, at 12:34 AM  

  • Your story makes me feel like I know you. I've been watching CNN, CNBC, MSNBC and Fox News Cable Channels in my home in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, in the USA since the battle started. My prayers are with you folks. Let me know if I can be of help. I'm a 66 year old Great-Grandma. Keep us posted and we'll continue to send our prayers up for you!!! :o)

    By Anonymous Sharon Kennedy, at 3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home