Live from an Israeli bunker

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Canada, An outer-inner perspective


So here I am, posting from Canada, after the longest flight ever. Jetlag not stopping me, computers that are not my own, or a headache. If your wondering about the title, this is what I'm thinking: I had an inner perspective when I started this blog, I didn't lose it I just lost access to local media and sources and the experiences (which got repetitive by the time I left).

Waking up in a hotel room in Toronto was very different from waking up back home. For one thing, no sirens. Walking around outside occasionally hearing fire trucks in the distance, the sounds are similar but nobody runs for cover. I've been here a few days now and the only time I've heard anything about Israel was in a 30 second blip on the news following one about the heat. "The Heat" is 28c, which is pretty much standard in Israel but apparently warrants a warning in Canada.

It's a strange sensation how life goes on unaffected elsewhere, I think I really got used to the state of affairs in the last two weeks. Going to see fireworks made me think about it again, is this shell shock or am I being overly dramatic?

What's really interesting here are people my age. Cultural differences work against my humor, but more importantly the people I've met have little to no idea of what's going on. That's what my experience has been like so far, if it's not accurate feel free to shed more light on this in the comments.

In others news, Nasrallah went on TV saying "when did you see two million Israeli's going down to bunkers for 18 days?" trying to somehow put a positive spin on that. First of, it's one million, secondly I bet you didn't see it coming did you? That's right a million of us dutifully live with sirens and bunkers for almost three weeks to let the IDF get it's job done and I'm sure by the time I get back they will still be doing it if there is a need. If your still wondering if were going to break first remove that doubt once and for all. I didn't get a chance to watch his speech but from the transcript it's pretty clear that he's getting very worried. He even acknowledged that for Israel there is no alternative (he calls it life or death) course of action and that it's actions are designed to pressure the Lebanese into taking some actions of their own. He then appealed to the Lebanese people to stand beside him (afterwards thanking Syria for taking so many in, if he keeps it up who will be left to stand beside him?), I think he's getting a little desperate, let's hope most Lebanese are sane and that plea will go ignored. Funny how he insulted Golani (elite IDF unit) and yet 200 of his terrorists are dead.

I'm ending this post on a sad note, a man shot 6 women in Seattle. One of them was pregnant, all of them were Jewish. In fact it happened in a Jewish Federation building by an Islamic man who said he hates Israel. I think it pretty much says it all, and I also think it's a sign of things to come. Of course he was quickly named a lone operator not associated with any organization and his actions a hate crime, but he's not. He's part of an organization called radical Islam and his actions are the premeditated rationalized crimes of madmen, wake up and smell the Jihad.

44 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home